Thursday, July 28, 2011

I'll just have a sugar packet or 2.

It was quite a day yesterday. I had a job interview at the local hospital for a housekeeping position and I got hired on the spot! I'm totally psyched! It's seems like it's going to be a great place to work and they have a lot of benefits for their employees. My position is part time on call, but once I make it to full time status, there's medical, dental, and all that, but they will also help pay for schooling if I decide to go back for something in the medical field. I think that's totally awesome. I went to school a few years back for massage therapy and while taking the medical courses, I found that I really enjoyed learning about medicine. So who knows where this might lead!

Last night I decided I was going to try a recipe I had seen on a cooking show on PBS. It was lasagna with eggplant in place of the pasta. I thought "This is great! Less carbs and more veggies!"  I used no fat ricotta, sauteed mushrooms, onions and fresh garlic, and some herbs from my patio garden. Yet I ended up gaining back the 2 lbs I lost yesterday.  So today I need to be really good with my diet.

My mom and I are going blueberry picking today. I'm so excited cause this starts the canning process for the rest of the year. We are making Blueberry Lime Jam and Blueberry syrup tomorrow. Not the most healthy, but better for you than the stuff bought in the store. Next month we are doing peaches, and then my favorite: Zucchini Relish. YUM!! I can't wait. After my wedding and once everything calms down in the fall, we will be doing apple picking and canning applesauce, apple butter, and a bunch of other apple things. We might make pumpkin butter too.

I need too get on a schedule for my exercising. I need to force myself to get up early and really focus on getting in my exercise time. I've decided that I need to it in the morning because otherwise I won't get it done. Once I start working again, doing it during the day is out, and then I will be exhausted at night, so that's out too. I thought about trying to start jogging in the morning, but I have arthritis in my knees, so I'm not sure how that will work for me. Another idea is to get one of those mini trampolines and put it in my living room, and I can use it while watching a show at night. I've been using the exercise ball we have and my abs are definitely feeling it. So at least I have that.

I've been working a lot on my family tree and it's coming along great so far. I've found a lot of information yesterday that was nowhere in the binder I had. I found a ton about my maternal 2nd great-grandmother's family, which I thought was totally awesome. I've typed out about 35 pages of family information in the past 3 days, so I feel like I've really accomplished something with it.

Well, that's about all for today. I will be back in tomorrow to let you all know how my blueberry picking went!

Eggplant-y, cheesy goodness.

~Jenn

2 comments:

  1. That looks really really good! Minus the ricotta though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I was a little if-y on the ricotta (I'm not a big fan of it) but it had other things mixed in with it so it made it taste really good!

    ReplyDelete